The Walking Dead
A head-to-toe look at the hits your body takes when you forfeit those precious sleep hours
Build a Better Bedroom
Ever have those nights where you just can’t fall asleep or are woken in the night by the snores of your partner, your children appearing at the side of your bed or the dogs barking and then are unable to fall back to sleep? I have had many of these nights and found the following tips to be very helpful!
LADIES NEED TO LIFT
I am so glad that our society has recognised the need for women to be fit and healthy. Not the old thinking that women have to be “thin” or “skinny” because that just promotes young girls to starve themselves, do too much cardio and become malnourished.
Society has now shifted to the right way of thinking, which is, women need to be fit and lift weights, just like men. This teaches a healthy lifestyle and encourages women to have functional goals that are more attainable, helps mobility and boost your self-confidence.
The main reason I got into strength training/body building was to see how strong I could become and control the way my body worked. I wanted to look and feel better and that has always been my “strive for greatness”. I feel everyone should be focused on building muscle and gaining strength. With the focus of building muscle mass all of us will see a huge positive change in performance and aesthetics. You will notice you dance a little better, swim a little stronger and run a little faster.
With the idea that all woman need to be lifting weights and gaining muscle mass I have listed some reasons as to why I feel “Ladies need to Lift”
1. Being strong is the new skinny! When I’m at the gym and I see a girl picking up more than 50lbs or squatting more than a plate, I become their #1 fan! Being strong really shows a lot of hard work. It’s easy to starve yourself to get into that little dress but “do you even lift girl?”
2. The more you lift, the more you can eat. This is my favourite part because I love food! Muscle requires more calories than fat. Muscle is living and grows therefore is “hungrier” than fat. The more muscle you build means the more you have to feed it. But feed it “the good healthy stuff” please.
3. Muscle makes everyday activities easier. The more fit you are and the more muscle mass and strength you have then daily errands are easier and things feel lighter. Then you can show off to your family and bring in all the groceries in one trip!
4. Muscle pays off in the long run because it stays. The worst part about just dieting to loose fat is that it always comes back unless you build muscle to change your homeostasis. When you build muscle it changes your body and increase your metabolism which burns more body fat while at rest. Once you build that muscle it will stay and continue to work for you long after you are done at the gym.
5. Muscle shapes your body and fat takes up space. Ladies if you want that hour glass shape, those nice arms, shoulders and back, or nice toned legs and tush….LIFT SOME WEIGHTS! The more you build your muscles you will notice your body will become tight and toned. There is a common myth, which states that woman who lift weights will get big and bulky which is a myth for a reason. You will NOT get big and bulky unless you eat way too much or use steroids. Lifting weights will reduce your body fat and you will see your body get tighter and more toned.
6. Muscle will protect you against injuries. In life, accidents happen and I can’t tell you how many times my injuries have been reduced or minimized because I have a built muscle. I have heard this same story from many clients and fellow gym rats. Lifting will strengthen weak areas so that you can play sports or participate in activities that you may never have thought possible.
7. Lastly, strength training also strengthens your bones to help prevent osteoporosis. Slips and falls are a major factor to life threatening injuries, depression, and the need for long term care facilities. The best way to deal with this is prevention, start lifting now.
Those are just a few reasons why Ladies need to lift and I hope you have learned how important it is to incorporate weight lifting into your gym routine.