It's that time of year again where everyone starts thinking of changes they want to make in the new year. As you can see, I'm not a big fan of the “New Year resolutions” because I find it’s an excuse for people to be content with quitting or giving up. They start over and over again because the end goal is too big and it seems so far away. This “New Year resolution” cycle makes any goal much harder to achieve whether it be physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual. Instead I like to think of every year as a chance to continually improve your situation by adding good habits to your day and taking away negative ones. Remember to think small, just one step at a time. Think as if you had to climb a thousand stairs, that would be extremely overwhelming and you would already contemplate quitting or not even starting, before you even started. But if all you had to do was take three steps a day, before you know it that staircase would be done!!
Here are 10 simple steps you can use to continue your success on your fitness journey.
1. Have breakfast every morning to jump start your metabolism
2. Include protein with every meal to balance your glycemic index
3. Increase your work load (eg. Lift heavier weights or start incorporating resistance training to you fitness regime)
4. Have non-negotiables to help with temptation or lack of motivation (eg: no cookies EVER or work out a minimum of 2x per week no matter what!)
5. Ask someone to keep you accountable and help you stay on track
6. Schedule your workouts in your week and plan other events around them. Also, plan out your meals to limit excuses and lack of time.
7. Record workouts and a food log to keep track of your progress and improvements
8. Make one small goal per month and stick to it for at least 3 months so that it become a habit
9. Cook most meals at home and limit buying outside food to 1x per week
10. Focus on internal results before external so that you will see results faster to help keep you motivated (increased energy, better sleeps, stronger during daily activities)
FEEL IT BEFORE YOU SEE IT
I really hope these 10 areas resonate with you and you will make a conscious decision to change certain areas of your life and implement the necessary steps to do so. Stair at that staircase with pride knowing one day you will complete it, just three steps at a time.
Dan has been a personal trainer since 2008.